Followers

Friday, April 18, 2014

Maundy Thursday - washing the feet of the disciples


photo: Lisa Polito, Lutheran Deaconess Association

Christ, my Lord,
my Supreme, my Master,
my servant on your knees,
wash my feet.

Let me chafe at the wrongness of it,
and wonder at its grace,
eternally confounded.

For my request,
and for my failure to request,
be gracious to me.
At my feet, come between me
and my pride and self-hatred.

Bathe me in your mercy,
wash away my judging mind,
baptize me in self-emptying,
cleanse me with forgiveness.

That which I withhold in shame
make beautiful.

Christ, for you
who wash the feet of the despised,
who serve and honour your Beloved,
I accept my place.

In every moment of my day,
for every person I meet:
no greater than my master,
may I kneel.

O Christ my Servant,
my Saviour,
wash my feet.
(adapted, Steve Garnaas-Holmes)

No comments:

Post a Comment